EDR.. explosion-proof motors bring safety and performance to your system: whether according to ATEX, IECEx or HazLoc-NA®. The EDR.. motor series features 13 sizes and can be used in environments with explosive air/gas mixtures and/or air/dust mixtures.
No compromises in hazard zones: high-performance, EX-compliant motors
You can rely on our drive technology, even in potentially explosive atmospheres. There is no need to make any compromises either in terms of safety for your application or in terms of the variety of performance levels of the drives used.
This is because our explosion-proof AC motors from the EDR.. series comply with the most important international standards and directives.
They meet all requirements for tools and fixtures intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres as defined in EU Directive 94/9/EC (ATEX), or as of April 20, 2016 of the EU Directive 2014/34/EU (ATEX). They are also available with different protection types or IP degrees of protection depending on the atmosphere, i.e. gas or dust. In terms of their safety requirements, motors from the EDR.. series comply with equipment group II. In simple terms: You can use these explosion-proof motors in categories 2 and 3, in gas zones 1 and 2, and in dust zones 21 and 22.
Directive 2014/34/EC has been applicable since February 26, 2014 for devices and protective systems for designated use in potentially explosive atmospheres. This directive replaced directive 94/9/EG.
Declarations of conformity according to the new directive cannot be issued until April 20, 2016.
The motors are available with IECEx certification according to EPL b and c (Equipment Protection Level) for countries that recognize IECEx regulations.
HazLoc-NA® motors comply with the Class Division System and are certified by CSA for use in Division 2 Class I (gas) and Class II (dust).
The motors come in 14 sizes from 63 to 315 which cover a power range from 0.12 kW up to 175 kW (50 Hz) or 200 kW (60 Hz), ensuring varied levels of performance. We thus enable you to avail of countless drive combinations for the most diverse systems and machines in potentially explosive atmospheres.
Only half the solution without a gear unit? Then use our modular system and combine an explosion-proof motor with a helical, parallel shaft, worm, bevel or SPIROPLAN® gear unit of your choice. Also for servo applications, the range also includes a suitable planetary gear unit or helical-bevel gear unit.
Configure your individual product
- Detailed information about your individual product
- CAD data and documentation for your configuration
Remain flexiblewhether in a gas or dust atmosphere, you can reliably operate our explosion-proof motors in both hazard zones.
Be safethanks to their approval according to EU Directive 2014/34/EU (ATEX) the motors can be used all over the world.
As a system operator, special guidelines apply for areas with explosive gas/air and dust/air mixtures. We naturally observe these guidelines when newly developing or improving explosion-proof drive technology. Put your trust in our many years of experience and expertise!
Explosion-proof AC motors of the EDR.. series
- EDRE.. motors conform to the efficiency class IE2 in accordance with IEC 60034-30-1 and/or High in accordance with NEMA MG-1
- Approvals for the motor were performed according to the latest European standards applicable to explosion protection:
- General requirements IEC/EN 60079-0, gas IEC/EN 60079-7, IEC/EN 60079-15 and dust IEC/EN 60079-31
- Compliance with the internationally applicable Equipment Protection Level EPL
- EDR.. series motors comply with the most important standards and meet the IEC 60034 motor standard.
- The motors have been certified by the PTB
- Approvals for the North American market in accordance with NEC500 and CSA22.2
- Certification by CSA
- according to the Class and Division System
- Are suitable for operation on a frequency inverter, also in field-weakening operation, for categories 2 and 3 and/or EPL b and c, or in Div 2
- Compliant with EC Directive 94/9/EC (ATEX), or as of April 20, 2016 of the EU Directive 2014/34/EU (ATEX)
- Can be used in categories 2G, 2GD and 3GD, 3D for zones 1 / 21 and 2 / 22
- Also available with a brake, encoder and forced cooling fan in category 3
- Compliant with IECEx
- In accordance with IECEx to EPL Gb and Db as well as Gc and Dc
- EDRS and EDRE motor types in accordance with the IECEx Certified Equipment Scheme with ExTr, QAR, and CoC audited and certified by PTB;
further information on the certification system is available on the website of the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
- In accordance with HazLoc-NA®
- Meet the efficiency requirements according to EISA 2007 and CSA C390-10 for the North American market
- Motors are certified according to the Class Division System (NEC 500, CSA22.1) and therefore meet the explosion-protection requirements for the North American market
- Available as CID2 type, for Division 2 Class I for gas groups A, B, C and D
- Available as CIID2 type, Division 2 Class II for dust groups F and G
- Available as type /CICIID2, for Division 2 Class I for gas groups A, B, C and D and Class II for dust groups F and G
- Also available as brakemotor with hold function
- Operation on a frequency inverter possible in Class I and Class II
- No power reduction
- Setting range 1:6 to 1:10 possible
- Speed up to 3000 rpm
- Optional encoder mounting adapter for mounting encoders
Explosion-proof motors of the EDR.. series
Compliant with EC Directive 94/9/EC (ATEX) and IECEx
|IECEx||Ex-protection||Zone||Type 4-pole / size||IE grade||Power range
|/3D and /3GD||/3Gc and /3GDc||II3G, EPL Gc, T3, "nA"
EDRS 71 – 80
EDRE 80 – 315
|0.12 – 0.25
0.25 – 0.55
0.75 – 45
0.75 – 185/200
|II3D, EPL Dc, IIIB, IIIC
T120 °C / T140° C, „tc“
|/2G and /2GD||/2Gb and /2GDb||II2G, EPL Gb, T3, "e"||1||eDR 63
EDRS 71 – 80
EDRE 80 – 225
|0.12 - 0.25
0.25 – 0.55
0.75 – 37
|II2D, EPL Db, IIIC T120° C "tb"||21|
|/2G and /2GD||/2Gb and /2GDb||II2G, EPL Gb, T4, "e"||1||EDRS 71 – 80
|0.25 – 0.55
|II2D, EPL Db, IIIC T120° C "tb"||21|
EDR.. explosion-proof motors / in accordance with HazLoc-NA®
|Division 2||Type 4-pole / size||IE grade||Power range
Groups A, B, C, and D
T3 for operation on the FI
T3C for operation on the supply system
T3B/C brakemotor on the supply system
|EDRS 71 – 80
EDRE 80 – 225
|0.18 – 0.55
0.75 – 45
Groups F and G
Combination with frequency inverters
An overview of the benefits of this combination in comparison to an AC asynchronous motor in protection type “d” (EN 60079-1 flameproof enclosure):
- High efficiency
- Lighter weight
- Shortest possible delivery times, high availability
- Certified for operation with SEW frequency inverters
- Suitable for pump and fan drives
- Delivery from one source, from a manufacturer that offers both components
- Higher speeds
It is important to observe and comply with guidelines particularly in areas containing potentially-explosive gas/air and dust/air mixtures. Thanks to many years of experience and expertise in this area, we guarantee that the relevant guidelines are observed. Furthermore, the company’s expertise is continually being expanded to include new and further developments.
- our 4-pole motors are also suitable for operation on a frequency inverter in accordance with ATEX, IECEx and HazLoc-NA®
- category 2 and EPL b and c have been certified by a type examination
- HazLoc-NA® motors have been certified by CSA
- brakemotors are also available in category 3 and division 2
- suitability for operation on the inverter is confirmed on the nameplate
- a second nameplate includes all data necessary for operation
|Zone||Motor type||Protection type||MOVITRAC® B||MOVIDRIVE® B||MOVIMOT®|
||EDR../2G||"e" (EN 60079-7, increased safety)||x*||x||-|
|2||EDR../3GD||"na" (EN60079-15, non-sparking)||x*||x*||-|
|21||EDR../2GD||"tb" (EN60079-31, dust explosion protection)||x*||x||-|
|22||EDR../3GD||"tc" (EN60079-31, dust explosion protection)||x*||x*||x*|
Possible additional feature depend on the explosion protection
|Output options||/foot and flange-mounted design as for a standard motor|
|Brakes||All sizes (for motors up to size 225) in category 3 and HazLoc-NA®|
|Manual brake release||HF, HR|
|Decentralized installation||MOVISWITCH® and MOVIMOT® in II3D|
|Temperature sensor / temperature detection|
|Thermal motor protection||/TF|
|Temperature detection||/PT, /KY|
|Add-on encoder EDR71-132||/ES7S, /ES7R, /ES7C, /AS7W, /AS7Y, /EV7., /AV7.|
|Add-on encoder EDR160-280||/EG7S, /EG7R, /EG7C, /AG7W, /AG7Y, /EV7., /AV7.|
|Add-on encoder EDR315||/EH7S, /AH7Y|
|Mounting adapter||/ES7A, /EG7A, /XV.A, /XH.A|
|Forced cooling fan||/VE|
|2nd shaft end||/2W|
Areas of application
in potentially explosive atmospheres with air/gas or air/dust mixtures according to Directive 94/9/EC (ATEX), or as of April 20, 2016 of the EU Directive 2014/34/EU (ATEX) and in accordance with HazLoc-NA®.
- Waste water and sewage treatment plants
- Construction materials processing
- Materials handling applications
- Wood processing
- Process applications in the chemicals and pharmaceutical industry
- Corner transfer units
- Travel and lifting drives in stacker cranes
- Screw conveyors
- Belt conveyors
- Hoists and lifting stations
- Chain conveyors
- Freight elevators
- Pallet conveyors
- Gantry cranes
- Pumps and fans
- Roller conveyors
- Rotary tables
- Scissor lift tables