Girth gears are used to drive large, rotating systems such as dryers, rotary kilns or horizontal mills. The flexible concept from SEW-EURODRIVE has simplified manufacturing, transport and assembly.
Segmented girth gears: More than the sum of the individual segments
Traditional girth gears generally consist of two to four segments and are assembled together for processing. This requires extremely large and expensive machines for production, handling and heat treatment. Besides this, the size of component parts creates disadvantages with regard to casting quality and heat treatment.
The innovative girth gears from SEW-EURODRIVE are always divided into several identical segments. This means the component parts are short and easy to handle. By combining the latest materials engineering and state-of-the-art manufacturing methods, the SEW-EURODRIVE girth gears avoid the disadvantages of the traditional manufacturing process and create new benefits.
SEW‑EURODRIVE only uses austempered ductile iron (ADI) for the production of the girth gears. The classical materials cannot match its tensile strength.
ADI is described in detail in the following international standards:
- International Organization for Standardization 17804 "Ausferritic spheroidal graphite cast irons"
- AGMA 939-A07 "Austempered Ductile Irons For Gears"
Complete drive solutions from SEW-EURODRIVE
SEW-EURODRIVE not only delivers girth gears, but provides you with the entire drive package. You receive the optimal industrial gear unit with drive pinions, a base frame, the casing and many other options upon request. Depending on customer requirements, the pinion can be mounted directly on the output shaft or separately (pedestal bearings). Several drives can be used to rotate a kiln. This way, the power is distributed. High torques can be achieved with smaller, more efficient drive units as a result.
In general, drive solutions with girth gears require a lot of consulting, which is why we support system design engineers and operators with all applications. SEW-EURODRIVE specialists support the process from consulting through to professional assembly and startup. In this way, we guarantee the best technical, most economical solution.
Get in touch with us.
- Our experts know your industry and its requirements.
- Our global network ensures we are there wherever and whenever you need us.
- We have the expertise and the tools to provide optimum advice and support.
Minimal vibrationdue to the precise pitch accuracy of the segmented girth gears according to ISO 8 (AGMA 8).
Simple exchangebecause the division into segments means the entire ring does not need to be disassembled.
Longer service lifebecause due to proper dimensioning and lubrication, ADI girth gears are practically wear-free.
Features and scope of delivery
- Practical handling of individual segments
- Optimized quality assurance due to minimal size
- Precise pitch accuracy according to ISO 8 (AGMA 8)
- Simple exchange
- Low weight
- Longer service life with ADI
- Short delivery time
Scope of delivery
- Segmented girth gears
- Drive pinion and ,if required, pedestal bearing
- Fastening parts for the girth gear: Mounting springs or mounting flange
- Main gear unit
- Auxiliary drives
- Lubrication system
- Foundation and base frame
Technical data segmented girth gears
- Girth gear pitch diameter of up to 16 m (larger diameters are available after further discussion)
- Maximum width 600 mm
- Maximum power 4000 kW per pinion
- Maximum pitch line velocity 6 m/s
- Girth gear module 20, 25, 30, and 40 mm
- Calculated according to ISO standard 6336 (AGMA on request)
Area/s of operation
Preferred applications for segmented girth gears
Large, rotating systems such as , or in the
- Chemical industry
- Environmental industry
- Timber industry
- Paper industry
- Steel industry
- Mining industry
- Raw materials industry