Each year, HANNOVER MESSE focuses the attention of its global audience on a different country. In 2020, the spotlight is on Indonesia. SEW-EURODRIVE is represented in Indonesia through sales/service partners.
Indonesia – one of the world’s fastest-growing economic markets
What springs to mind when you think of Indonesia? A country of islands, warm people, spicy food, rice and sarongs? Undoubtedly.
Yet did you know that Indonesia is the world’s largest island state? In other respects, too, it is a land of superlatives. Only three countries in the world are more populous, with its 260 million inhabitants living on around 6000 of the approximately 17 500 islands and sharing a total area of 1.9 million square meters.
Indonesia at a glance
- Location: Southeast Asia
- Area: Approx. 1 900 000 km², of which 54 000 km is coastline (Germany: Approx. 360 000 km²)
- Islands: 17 500, of which approx. 6000 are inhabited
- System of government: Presidential republic
- Capital: Jakarta
- Official language: Bahasa Indonesia
- Currency: Rupiah (IDR)
- Population: Over 260 million, making it the fourth most populous country (Germany: Approx. 83 million)
- Religion: Six religions; approx. 90% of the population are Muslim
- Economic region: ASEAN (the Association of Southeast Asian Nations)
- To become Southeast Asia's biggest digital economy by 2020
- To be among the world's ten largest economies by 2030